Week 8 Reflection: Learning Theories and Instruction
Throughout the past eight weeks of this course, I have deepened my knowledge of how people learn, including myself, which will help me in the field of instructional design. I was most intrigued to further understand adult learning and motivation in this course. I have gained some helpful tools I can utilize in these areas for when I do become an instructional designer some day. First, I will briefly discuss what I found surprising as I furthered my knowledge about how people learn.
Several areas which I found surprising as I advanced my knowledge about how people learn is how behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism is connected to instructional design as learned from week one of the course. I was also surprised to see the connections between each of the theories as I answered the questions and completed the Learning Theory Matrix each week. By completing the matrix, I now have a deeper understanding of how each of the theories relate to instructional design. Lastly, I was surprised to learn about how the ARCS model relates to motivation, confidence, and performance. I enjoyed reading the articles during week eight about the ARCS model, especially the article from John Keller about computer-based instruction and distance education. The tables in the article were helpful and assisted me with understanding how the ARCS model can assist in the development and success of distance education (Keller, 1999). Next, I will discuss how this course has expanded my understanding of my personal learning process.
The resources throughout this course, along with the discussions each week have given me the opportunity to fully understand my personal learning process. By reading the materials each week, participating in the discussions, and completing the Learning Theory Matrix, I was able to connect my own learning style to each of the learning theories. For example, I can relate my learning style to the behaviorist and cognitive theories when looking at the role of memory. I will retain and remember the information better if I am able to practice and have periodic review of the information, as well as being able to organize the information in a meaningful way. When it comes to learning, I find my style relates to the constructivist and social theories. I have found I learn from experiences and understanding society. It can be more difficult for me to learn and retain the information if I am unable to relate the information to experiences. Next, I will discuss what I have learned regarding the connection between learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation. I will also discuss how this course will help me as I further my career in the field of instructional design.
Throughout the course, I have learned the connection between learning theories, learning styles, educational technology and motivation all play a role in how people learn and retain information. The learning theories and styles provide those in education and instructional technology with the tools to help understand the different ways in which people learn and how to make meaningful connections with the materials created for education. In regards to educational technology, I have learned in this course that although technology plays a significant role in today’s education and is constantly evolving, the material is still the same. This concept will be important for me to remember when I do become an instructional designer in the future. I have also learned in this course how important motivation is when people are learning and retaining new information. It is not simply enough to present the information, but it also must provide the learner with reasons to want to learn the material and motivation to retain what they have learned. All of the resources for this course I have learned from will be valuable to me as I prepare for a career in instructional design. The information is practical and can be utilized over time.
All the Best to everyone in the next course!
Jackie

0 comments:
Post a Comment