Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Patriot Day - Remembering 9/11


Dear Fellow Bloggers,

I wanted to be sure and take a few moments today to remember all the individuals who were lost and are affected by the tragic events that occurred on September 11, 2001. Our nation changed on that day -- forever. As we learn more about the the many stories from individuals who experienced the tragedy, I am touched by the acts of heroism and courage. These stories remind me that good will rise above the evil, even though there was so much tragedy on that day.

One of the many stories that touched my heart is about the "Man in the Red Bandana" who saved many people and has inspired others to make a difference as well. When I first read the story about Welles Crowther, one of these amazing heroes from that tragic day, I was struck by what his friend John Howells said in the interview.

"He could have taken the easy way out. There are a lot of situations in everybody's life where you can take the easy way out. You can just go with the flow and you can do what everybody else was doing -- everybody else was running out of the building. He really listened to his gut. And was a hero for it. So I kind of look at it from that standpoint, I think all of us could do that a little bit more and make more of an impact in the world." -- John Howells

At his funeral, there was a statue of the WTC Twin Towers with a Phoenix bird rising above. His family believes that good prevails evil, and the statue is a symbol of that. Finally, what really struck me about this story is that Welles was the same age as me. To know that someone the same age as me was able to help and save so many people, it inspired me to help others as much as I could.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Word of the Day

This Day in History

Jackson Pollock Art

Juliet, the virtual kitty!